Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Tinga Poblana

I have a much used and loved copy of Rick Bayless's cookbook Authentic Mexican. I have loved everything I have made from this book, but this recipe is my favorite and I decided to post it in my blog in case I lose the book I will still have this recipe. I am even taking three cans of chipotle chiles with me to Malaysia much to my sisters amusement, "yes I know you can ship stuff to me"...but just in case...
I was living in Seattle for six months and I left the book here in LA, so when I was craving this little slice of epicurean nirvana and didn't have the recipe...yes you'd think I would have memorized it by now, but since hitting forty....hard, I can hardly remember where I've parked my car. 
During a cold slightly snowy weekend I wanted to make this, and to my dismay I didn't have the book, so I scoured the web. I use to believe you could find anything on the Internet, until I could not find this recipe. I found many close to it, and the one I picked just wasn't it.
So here in my never to be humble opinion is the best Tinga recipe, which I am sure is divinely inspired. (and slightly tinkered with...)
Yield: 4 servings (yeah right, so whadda you gonna eat?)
  • 1 pound lean, boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
  • 1/2 teaspoon mixed dried herbs (thyme, marjoram,)
  • 3 Bay leaves
  • 2 medium (about 10 oz) red potatoes quartered
  • 1 1/2 pounds (3 large) ripe tomatoes, roasted and peeled OR one 28 oz can
  • 4 to 6 ounces of Chorizo (hmm bet I wont find that in KL either so I will add that recipe as well)
  • vegetable oil
  • 1 onion diced (medium)
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 2 of the chiles chipotle from the can seeded and chopped
  • 4 tsp of the Adobo sauce from the can
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
Que music "this is how we do it"....
  1. The Meat. Bring about a quart of water to a boil in a medium saucepan, add salt then the pork, skim the grayish foam that rises to the top during the first few minutes of simmering, add any of the dried herbs and bay leaves. Partially cover and simmer over medium heat until the meat is tender about 50 minutes. If you have the time let the meat cool in the broth, remove the meat, strain the broth, de-fat it and reserve 1 cup. when meat is cool enough break it up the bigger pieces.
  2. The potatoes, tomatoes and chorizo. Boil the potatoes in salted water to cover until just tender approx. 15 minutes; drain, and chop into 1/2 inch pieces. Dice tomatoes (if not canned diced). Fry the chorizo (in oil if needed it can be pretty fatty) in a large heavy skillet over med heat. ( this is where I deviate, I leave the chorizo in and brown the pork and onions all at once) Stir in the garlic and let get fragrant.
  3. Finishing the stew. Pour in the tomatoes (sort of de-glazing the pan) add the potatoes, oregano, the chopped chiles, adobo sauce and the reserved broth and stir and simmer for 10 minutes or so to blend.
  4. Serve garnished with avocado slices, fresh cheese like queso fresco, any other soft style cheese...or just eat it.
I will add pictures the next time I make this.....ahhh, te amo....te qiero
image

No comments: