Wednesday, June 18, 2008

CELTA in Malaysia

I started this blog to write about my journey from a martial arts instructor in Los Angeles, to an ESL teacher in Asia, and of course my first two posts had nothing to do with that.
Once I made the decision to take the leap, I had to decide if I wanted to get a teaching certificate. There are several certificates out there; TESOL, TEFL, CELTA, TESL and are mostly all the same. I could go to China as a "foreign expert" being a native English speaker, but I think I would have better opportunities (and better pay) with a teaching certificate. I liked the CELTA it seemed to be the most widely accepted, and recognized...as well as the most difficult to get.
Now, where should I go to get this award? I met a Malaysian woman in Bangkok in conversation she suggested the British Council in Kuala Lumpur. When I returned home to the US I looked into the school and Malaysia, I decided to visit this new friend and experience KL and look into the course. Malaysia, to most Americans is not widely know, and when I told people I was going to live and work there, responses varied from "Wow...to Where? or Why Malaysia...?"My friend told me she would be happy to be my guide in KL, so I went. I liked Malaysia the people were really friendly, I think their culture is unique with the Bumiputras (indigenous Malays) the Chinese and Indian immigrants all trying to coexist, while mixing cultures and holding on to their identities at the same time.

Map image
After visiting the school, I decided to get the Cambridge English Teaching Award from the British council in Kuala Lumpur.
So far so good, I have made the decision to completely change my life, I decided where I will go, I've decided to get a certificate and where to get it (I passed the entrance exam and interview for the British council), Now where will I work? I don't know yet... There are a lot of resources on the web, and one of the things I discovered is I can't really get a job until ( well first I must get the certificate) I am in Malaysia. So I will have to take it on faith that I will find a position, and if I can't I can always go to China, Vietnam, Thailand or pretty much anywhere to teach.
All of this has occurred over the last three or four months, and now it's down to six days before I leave. I have given away, sold, or stored (thanks mom) most of my possessions, shipped the stuff I felt I couldn't live with out (do they have books in Malaysia?) which was an interesting exercise in itself, not to mention buying a one way ticket.
So to keep the folks at home informed and entertained I am now blogging about this foray into expat-hood.
More to come...

1 comment:

Arnie YSL said...

KL is an interesting place to be at this point in time....